[lbo-talk] McKinney never said it

C. G. Estabrook galliher at alexia.lis.uiuc.edu
Fri Jun 20 18:47:56 PDT 2003

Others can judge whether that's amusing. But Ricoeur's phrase when coined than 30 years ago was meant to characterize, not the approach of conspiracy-mongers, but that of Marx and Freud. It suggested that things may not be what they seem -- that they require the application of critical intelligence to be understood. That still seems like a good plan to me -- a reasonable hermeneutic.

Also, I wouldn't say that Alex and Jeffrey deal in innuendo. It's what they say quite plainly that seems to upset people.

And BTW, my wife's Black Lab (called Helas A Dog) takes offense. --CGE