[lbo-talk] Russia intends to keep all components of its nuclear triad

Chris Doss itschris13 at hotmail.com
Sat Jun 21 05:19:52 PDT 2003

>From: Jeffrey Fisher <jfisher at igc.org>

>this confuses me, as i don't know the relevant treaty terms. is there some
>aspect of the treaty in which russia may be in violation after 2012 because
>of maintaining the triad?

No. The "treaty" is practically meaningless. It requires both sides to drop to a certain level of _deployed_ warheads, and does not oblige them to actually destroy the warheads. AFAIK, the delivery system upon which the warheads are mounted is unimportant. No deadlines are stated for compliance, except for 2012. Either side can pull out of the treaty at any time for whatever reason before that date.

_________________________________________________________________ Add photos to your messages with MSN 8. Get 2 months FREE*. http://join.msn.com/?page=features/featuredemail