[lbo-talk] Everything's coming up roses

Bill Bartlett billbartlett at enterprize.net.au
Sun Jun 22 23:26:54 PDT 2003

> The Evening Standard

> "There's a picture of the World Trade Center hanging up by my bed and I
>keep one in my Kevlar [flak jacket]. Every time I feel sorry for these
>people I look at that. I think, 'They hit us at home and, now, it's our turn.' I
>don't want to say payback but, you know, it's pretty much payback."

I suppose if revenge is an acceptable reason to kill someone, then its hard to fault the notion of collective punishment. An Arab killed some of my people, my people are entitled to take revenge by killing some Arabs...

Collective punishment is the philosophy of Bin Laden too of course. Some of the apologists for revenge might care to explain the philosophical basis? I imagine its something along the lines that "We are entitled to revenge, this entitlement stands even if revenge against the actual individuals responsible is impractical. Hence, taking revenge against the next best thing, the next of kin, or someone of the same race or religion is entirely justified."

But perhaps I don't fully understand the "logic" of hate?

Bill Bartlett Bracknell Tas