[lbo-talk] Turkmenistan

Chris Doss itschris13 at hotmail.com
Tue Jun 24 06:07:54 PDT 2003

>From: Peter Lavelle <untimely_thoughts at yahoo.com>
>
>Chris,
>
>Be careful when using the term ethnic cleansing. I have a few Russian
>friends who keep me informed about what is happening in Turkmenistan.
>Ethnic cleansing is not happening, but the human and civil right record
>against ethnic Russians is outrageous. Regime change there on the part of
>Russia is not an impossibility.

Last post for day.

God knows I don't want to get into a what the definition of ethnic cleansing is, but I would say Turkmenbashi's recent move, which is basically pushing hard for most of the Russian population to junk their Turkmen citizenship and emigrate, amounts to ethnic cleansing lite. No one's actually getting run out of their homes (yet).

_________________________________________________________________ The new MSN 8: advanced junk mail protection and 2 months FREE* http://join.msn.com/?page=features/junkmail