[lbo-talk] Framed (Was Everything's coming up roses)

Steven McGraw stmcgraw at vt.edu
Tue Jun 24 08:04:19 PDT 2003

>===== Original Message From Bill Bartlett <billbartlett at enterprize.net.au>
=====
>At 1:23 AM -0400 24/6/03, Steven McGraw wrote:
>
>> >Examples ...
>> >

>>of "the sins they [the poor] must necessarily
>>commit to survive"
>
>Ah, I follow you now. The most widespread offenses are working on the sly
while collecting welfare (because welfare payments alone are purposefully almost impossible to survive on, while high effective marginal withdrawal rates makes it impossible to openly declare extra earnings.)

>The poor are subject to draconian penalties if caught. Employers who pay
welfare recipients below minimum wages are never prosecuted, of course. In fact the employers usually co-operate with authorities.

>Welfare fraud is almost universal.

I have to admit this sounds at least plausible. Can you recommend some sources?