[lbo-talk] Militarism And The Economy: Is Anyone Tracking The Effects?

Dwayne Monroe idoru345 at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 24 08:10:31 PDT 2003

Regarding the US's occupation of Iraq, most essays, conversations, speeches, etc. focus, understandably, on the geo-political implications, the loss of life and the exploitation of a nation.

I haven't read an essay or article or heard anyone speaking about the impact this occupation (and America's other military adventures) will have upon the US economy. Of course, we know that firms like Haliburton expect to reap great profits but the billions and billions of dollars - to pay personnel, to maintain equipment, to bribe 'coalition' partners, to pay Iraqis' salaries, the list goes on - flying from the treasury to feed these efforts must have some effect.

Some say the occupation will last ten years -

http://www.usatoday.com/news/world/iraq/2003-06-18-iraqtroop-usat_x.htm

Others say five -

http://reuters.com/printerFriendlyPopup.jhtml?type=topNews&storyID=2972435

Regardless, each week is costing us serious money and it shows no signs of ending anytime soon.

Are there any economy watchers out there who're paying attention to the (I suspect draining) effect this may be having on the US economy?

I hear talk, alternately, of stagnation and deflation, stimulus and recovery but no mention of this huge elephant standing in the room.

DRM