[lbo-talk] Hip Hop suggestions

Stannard67 at aol.com Stannard67 at aol.com
Tue Jun 24 09:06:31 PDT 2003

In a message dated 6/24/2003 9:27:48 AM Mountain Daylight Time, wideye at earthlink.net writes:

> before you go off generalizing hip hop as "macho nihilism" try to listen
> something other than the top 40 marketed crap that seems to encompass your
> worldview of the genre. as a starter i suggest you pick up some arrested
> development, blackalicious, or jurassic 5

Amen. May I also suggest anything by Dead Prez, and Sarah Jones's recording of her poem "Your Revolution (will not happen between these thighs)"--and the entire Boogie Down Productions collection? And there is also a compilation, "No More Prisons," released by Raptivism Records, that is quite simply the best hip hop I have ever heard.

There is, of course much more. Most conscious hip hop actually offers an on-point criticism of the "macho-gangster-hit-my-bitches" hip pop.

stannard -------------- next part -------------- An HTML attachment was scrubbed... URL: <../attachments/20030624/26fcbf85/attachment.htm>