[lbo-talk] Taste in music {was: volume)

Gail Brock gbrock_dca at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 24 12:07:32 PDT 2003

In objection to hip-hop: --- Wojtek Sokolowski <sokol at jhu.edu> wrote:

> It is not that much the lyrics but how the music is being used and by
> whom - blasted in everyone's face from cars and SUVs by urban gangstas,
> suburban jocks and assorted wannabes. Nobody does that with classical
> music.

One of the British papers reported within the last couple of days that American soldiers had blasted an Iraqi neighborhood with the "Ride of the Valkyries" prior to a sweep (sorry, I haven't been able to find the article again). This is very strange at so many levels. The Wagner isn't the only possible classical aggression soundtrack -- before "Apocalypse Now" I seem to remember that the "1812 Overture" was used in much the same way. So are the screen images of the attack of the helicopter cavalry so powerful that these kids (I'm assuming most of the soldiers are late teens, early 20s) don't see the irony of the Vietnam reference? That reference was certainly the point of the British article.

-- Gail