[lbo-talk] Iranian Revo: How Many Times Can One Make The Same Mistake?

Dwayne Monroe idoru345 at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 24 16:29:38 PDT 2003

A Message from Tehran Is It Worth It to Risk Your Life?

By ROYA MONAJEM

HOW awful it is when one feels and experiences oneself absolutely ignorant and shaky and uncertain, unable to decide and do anything. This is the kind of feeling I have been increasingly experiencing as the 'political' events in Iran escalate. The only thing I know is that I love Persia and as soon as I start to say I hate Arab conquerors who brought her downfall and a gift for her natives that must have supposedly appeared more enchanting than what their own Persian rulers--I really should say kings for a reason that will be discovered soon--could offer them, I remember myself twenty three years ago and also now during the recent uprisings. Surely, those Persian ancestors who surrendered to the Arab conquerors--and I can hate and blame them as much I hate and blame those foreign conquerors--yes, as soon as I think of those Persian ancestors I tell myself, most probably they thought and felt as many of us did before the onset of the so-called Islamic Revolution and as we are feeling here, now.

What is this feeling?

What we and perhaps many people of the world share now and in the past under similar situations is that we do not favor our ruling system. We crave for a "better" one. And I suppose my ancestors who did not resist the Arab conquerors for the supposedly better world and life they promised them and betrayed their king for that reason--as all the nations have been doing with their own ruling systems throughout the history--yes, those ancestors must have thought and felt in the same way as we thought and felt before the victory of the Islamic Revolution (1978) and as a certain number of us have been thinking and feeling all these years under the Islamic Republic of Iran

[....]

full at http://www.counterpunch.org/monajem06242003.html