[lbo-talk] Pak to consider diplomatic relations with Israel

Ulhas Joglekar uvj at vsnl.com
Wed Jun 25 06:58:15 PDT 2003

The Times of India

TUESDAY, JUNE 17, 2003

Pak to consider diplomatic relations with Israel

PTI

ISLAMABAD: In a significant comment, Pakistan President Pervez Musharraf on Monday hinted that his government would consider setting up diplomatic relations with Israel.

With the possibility of peace prevailing between Israel and Palestinians after the West Asia road map, Pakistan would hold consultations with friendly Arab countries and decide whether to have diplomatic relations with Israel, Musharraf said in an interview.

"We should not over-react on this issue. We should give it serious consideration. It is a very sensitive issue. We fought three wars with India but still had diplomatic relations," he said adding that Pakistan never fought a war against Israel.

Musharraf also threatened to take action against Time magazine for reporting that Karachi has become the hub of al-Qaeda activities. He said the report carried by the magazine in this regard was not correct and claimed that his government has broken the back of al-Qaeda in Karachi.

Copyright © 2003 Times Internet Limited. All rights reserved.