[lbo-talk] Ambigious Doug

Dwayne Monroe idoru345 at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 25 07:29:57 PDT 2003

R wrote:

when the question of is there or isn't there a god comes up, my response is "who gives a shit?" now that's what i call pretty definitive.

I remember a Buddhist tale (Pali Canon I think) about a devout ascetic who criticized the Buddha for not discussing the nature of God (or the gods) in his sermons. The Buddha's reply was that although the gods existed, their activities had little if anything to do with the true cause of human suffering: 'ignorant craving.'

'Even Brahma, great Brahma is subject to samsara.'

You could be strictly faithful and still, if your mind was not disciplined and well tuned to resist delusion, find yourself in a quite unhappy state.

Which is, I suppose, another way of answering 'who gives a shit?' to the question of whether there's a God.

The spiritual realm is admitted, but not given undue prominence in any explanation of human affairs.

DRM