[lbo-talk] guilty [was volume]

Bill Bartlett billbartlett at enterprize.net.au
Wed Jun 25 07:45:29 PDT 2003

At 10:23 AM -0400 25/6/03, Wojtek Sokolowski wrote:

>There is a lot of poor people and relatively few of them engage
>in openly criminal behavior.

I think its perfectly understandable why most poor people don't "openly" engage in criminal behaviour. However most poor people do quietly engage in criminal activity.

>It is the perceived opportunity of getting away with
>violating th enorm rathen than poverty and desperation that causes
>criminal behavior

An interesting theory. People commit crimes merely for the thrill of getting away with it you say? Like some kind of sport? So the people I know who work at crappy underpaid jobs without declaring their income to the taxation department or the Social Security are doing it for the thrill? I'm dubious.

>- and such perceptions increase with the social status
>of the perpetrator.

There isn't much social status attached to petty crime though. I think you might be confusing the average petty criminal with the big time crims who make the headlines and get movies made about them.

Bill Bartlett Bracknell Tas