[lbo-talk] Poland acts against abortion ship

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Wed Jun 25 11:38:40 PDT 2003

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/3017164.stm

That kind of stuff calls for a boycott of Polish goods. They do not export much to the US, but high end vodka (Belvedere, Starka, Zubruwka Bison, Lubelska, Polmos or Emanor brands) and Polish amber are items commonly found in many stores here. They advertise their vodka a lot in the New Yorker - so it would be an easy target.

I suggest writing a short letter to the economic section of their embassy in Washington DC: economic at ioip.com and saying that you find their draconian abortion laws and the harassment of the Dutch vessel The Langenort objectionable, and as a result you will boycott their products and ask your friends to do likewise.

Here is a sample:

Dear ___:

I am writing to inform you that I will boycott Polish vodka (including among others Belvedere, Starka, Zubruwka Bison, Lubelska, Polmos and Emanor brands), Polish amber, and other Polish products sold in the US, and encourage my friends and acquaintances to do likewise. This is to protest Poland's draconian abortion laws and the harasssment of the Dutch ship The Langenort, providing family planning services, by the Polish authorites in the port of Wladyslawowo.

Sincerely,

Your name and contact information

Their ambassador is Przemyslaw Grudzinski http://www.polandembassy.org/Ambassador/p1-1.htm

Their economic attaches are: Jacek Dabrowski and Teresa Orczykowska http://www.polandembassy.org/Ambassador/p1-2.htm

More info on Polasih export vodka can be found at http://www.polishvodkas.com/

Contact info of some of the vodka producers info at lubelska.com http://www.polishvodkas.com/fs_contactus.htm

Amber export site: http://www.chamberofcommerce.pl/amber/index.html

Please circulate if you think it is a worthwhile effort. Perhaps Katha Pollit (Doug?) would show interest in the issue as well.

Wojtek