[lbo-talk] Israel would welcome ties with Pak

Ulhas Joglekar uvj at vsnl.com
Thu Jun 26 07:07:26 PDT 2003

HindustanTimes.com

Wednesday, June 18, 2003

Israel says it would be pleased to establish ties with Pak

Press Trust of India Jerusalem, June 18

Israel on Wednesday said that it would be pleased to establish diplomatic relations with Pakistan if Islamabad recognised the Jewish state.

"We do not regard Pakistan as an enemy, we have no conflict with them (Pakistan). If they would like to establish diplomatic ties with us, we would be pleased to have relations between the two countries," Zvi Gabay, deputy director general (Asia Pacific), ministry of foreign affairs, said.

"The ball is in the court of Pakistan," he said when asked about President Pervez Musharraf's interview to Geo TV in which he hinted that Pakistan would consider establishing diplomatic relations with Israel.

But hours later Prime Minister Mir Zafarullah Khan Jamali and minister for information and broadcasting Sheikh Rashid Ahmed categorically ruled out the possibility of recognising Israel.

"Israel is open to having relations with every country that would like to establish relation with Israel, including Pakistan. We do not think that establishing relations with one country should affect relation with another country," Gabay said.

He, however, added this was not the first time such reports had come out. "We do not know what he (Musharraf) means by that. We are waiting to hear more what he means by that."

Analysts here, however, pointed towards contradictory statements made by Pakistani leadership on the issue.

The Pakistani General's words should be seen in the context of his upcoming visit to US; his words could be meant for American ears in view of June 24 meeting with American President at Camp David, they said.

© Hindustan Times Ltd. 2003. Reproduction in any form is prohibited without prior permission