[lbo-talk] Ambigious Doug

Chris Doss itschris13 at hotmail.com
Thu Jun 26 07:41:34 PDT 2003

>So, what did all that mean? I have no idea. But it did happen, and it led
>me
>to read up on spectral occurrences, vapors, ghosts, etc. There's something
>to it, I think. It's part of existence, but to what degree, and whether
>it's
>tied to any religious belief I cannot say. On that point I remain agnostic.
>
>DP
--- Thanks Dennis.

Everytime I read some attempt to "explain" religious belief and/or "supernatural" phenomenon on a sociological basis I think, um, could it possibly be the case that such phenomenon are to some extent real? Belief in them is a near-universal human characteristic.

In fact, historically, atheism and/or agnosticism is just weird. Has there ever been an atheistic pre-modern society? Has there ever been a pre-modern society that didn't believe in ghosts and/or have some sort of ancestor cult? Either there is _some_ sort of reality underlying them, or it must be hardwired into the human brain, methinks.

_________________________________________________________________ The new MSN 8: smart spam protection and 2 months FREE* http://join.msn.com/?page=features/junkmail