[lbo-talk] Ambigious Doug

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 26 08:48:32 PDT 2003

There is some ort of deep confusion here in this discussion, running together (a) belief in the supernatural, (b) theism, (c) religion, and (e) belief in ghosts or spirits. Some of religions are nontheistic -- Taoism, Zen. Some "theistic" religions are really just spirit or ancestor worship -- most traditional animistic religions, traditional Japanese rreligion. Even some theistic religions (Desism, Utitarianism) reject the "supernatural," which can mean anything from a God tthat is transcendental as opposed to immanent to a Gods that do miracles like Superman. Moreover it is possible to believe in ghosts, spirits, or an afterlife without any theistic beliefs of any sort or any religious commitments. As for whether atheism is a recent innovation, maybe at the official level. But Carlo Ginzberg gas done some work (see his The Worms and the Cheese) that suggests taht it may have been common in early modern or late medieval Europe. jks