[lbo-talk] Ambigious Doug

Chris Doss itschris13 at hotmail.com
Thu Jun 26 08:58:30 PDT 2003

Last post (see, Doug, I'm being good!).

>From: "C. G. Estabrook" <galliher at alexia.lis.uiuc.edu>
>
>For Thomists (and others), "God" is the name given to the answer -- which
>we do not know -- to the question, "Why is there anything, instead of
>nothing?"

---

I believe the quote was originally from Leibniz: "Why is there anything rather than nothing, as nothing is far simpler and easier to understand?"

Heidegger was right. That is THE central philosophical question, though irrelevant for human existence.

Really, if we were to discover that ghosts or an afterlife exist, why would that be any more shocking than the fact that the sun rises every morning? Simply because we've gotten used to the latter and it is a part of our world view.

That said, I am a Kantian on the issue of the "supernatural." The noumenal is simply beyond human cognition.

_________________________________________________________________ Protect your PC - get McAfee.com VirusScan Online http://clinic.mcafee.com/clinic/ibuy/campaign.asp?cid=3963