[lbo-talk] Kees van der Pijl

Grant Lee grantlee at iinet.net.au
Fri Jun 27 22:45:54 PDT 2003

> > Not necessarily. There have been examples of imperialised countries
> becoming
> > imperial countries.
>
> There are also examples of countries, which are neither imperial countries
> nor are imperialised countries in the world today. What do terms like
> "imperial countries" and "imperialised countries" mean in the contemporary
> world?
>
> Ulhas

I must admit these are not my preferred terms. But, broadly speaking, they usually refer to the intentions and abilities of governments to influence and/or direct other governments. For example, the US is imperialist in relation to most countries, including both Australia and Papua New Guinea, whereas Australia is imperialist only in relation to Papua New Guinea.