[lbo-talk] Kees van der Pijl

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Sat Jun 28 07:11:45 PDT 2003

At 1:12 PM +0800 6/28/03, Grant Lee wrote:

>> >Some would argue that Japan has done better because it had access to
>> >the US market in the post WWII period.
>> >
>> >Ulhas
>>
>> Had Japan been a colony of a European power or the United States,
>> like the Philippines, neither of the above would have happened.
>> --
>> Yoshie
>
>Not necessarily. There have been examples of imperialised countries
>becoming imperial countries.

"The members of the Group of Seven (G-7) are Canada, France, Germany, Italy, Japan, the United Kingdom and the United States, which together account for about two-thirds of the world's economic output" (@ <http://usinfo.state.gov/topical/econ/group8/g8what.htm>). Japan remains the only non-Euro/American state in the club of the rich. China may be invited to join the club, as Russia has. I can't think of any possible exception in the near future. -- Yoshie

* Calendars of Events in Columbus: <http://www.osu.edu/students/sif/calendar.html>, <http://www.freepress.org/calendar.php>, & <http://www.cpanews.org/> * Student International Forum: <http://www.osu.edu/students/sif/> * Committee for Justice in Palestine: <http://www.osudivest.org/> * Al-Awda-Ohio: <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Al-Awda-Ohio> * Solidarity: <http://solidarity.igc.org/>