[lbo-talk] Black (and Asian) in the USSR

Jordan Hayes jmhayes at j-o-r-d-a-n.com
Sat Jun 28 13:30:09 PDT 2003

[ sorry, pretty far behind in my reading ... --JMH ]

----- Original Message ----- From: "Wojtek Sokolowski" <sokol at jhu.edu> To: <lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org> Sent: Friday, June 20, 2003 6:06 AM Subject: RE: [lbo-talk] Black (and Asian) in the USSR

> Jordan:
> > > the U.S., where a third of the population has serious
> > > housing affordability problems?
> >
> > Where does that stat come from? I've read recently that
> > 2/3rds of US households are inhabited by people who own their
> > house; so are you saying that _all renters_ have _serious
> > housing affordability problems_ ...?
> >
> > Or do some mortgage-payers also have this problem?
>
> Households does NOT equal people.

Right, which is why I responded in the first place: "a third of the population" sounds like handwaving to me. The real stat is households.

> And of course affordability. To illustrate: my friends in NYC
> both have professional jobs, but they could not afford the a
> coop in which they live, if daddy did not shell some $100k for
> the downpayment.

This _disproves_ your point: if daddy "paid $100k" then it's affordable! Where do you think most people get any kind of 'wealth' from?

Doug: do you have the original stat to back up the "a third of the population has serious housing affordability problems" ...?

/jordan