[lbo-talk] Kees van der Pijl (Imperialism)

Chris Doss itschris13 at hotmail.com
Sat Jun 28 23:19:11 PDT 2003

>Note also that it is difficult to draw a line between "imperial" and
>"imperialised" on the basis of national GDP alone, since there is not only
>big difference between the US and Japan, but also between those two and the
>rest. If the EU was a state, rather than a loose confederation, its
>economic
>and military strength might possibly rival the US at some point in the
>future. But not at the moment.
>
>Mexico, Brazil, India and S.Korea have bigger economies than the
>Netherlands, Australia or Russia. Obviously Mexico is unlikely to have much
>influence in Russia, but it may have a significant role in Central America.
>Brazil and India do both have influence over their smaller neighbours. Just
>ask a Uruguayan or a Sri Lankan.
>
>In any case total GDP could only be a very crude indicator of imperialism
>compared to a FDI per capita, military budget per capita, foreign aid per
>capita and so on. None of which are reliable on their own. If anyone knows
>of any studies which include all of these things, I'd be interested to hear
>of them.
>
>regards,
>
>Grant.

The Globalist June 25, 2003 Vladimir Putin -- Master of the Universe? By Stanley Kober Many people assume that the U.S. -- and hence President Bush -- is the epicenter of world politics. There's a different perspective: Russia's President Putin is positioning himself firmly at the center of the global political stage. The U.S. may have won Iraq - but in the process, it has weakened its position in Europe and Asia. Putin is rushing to fill the strategic vacuum.

WASHINGTON, Jun 26, 2003 -- With the expansion of NATO, the Russians decided they needed to look for new strategic allies around the world - just in case.

Their obvious major candidate was China. "We shall do everything to minimize the consequences of NATO expansion for Russia's security," Russian President Boris Yeltsin declared in 1997.

A strategic blunder?

"We shall strengthen cooperation with neighboring countries, first of all with China."

Since then, cooperation between Russia and China has become institutionalized in the Shanghai Cooperation Organization. You never heard of such a thing? Don't feel too bad about it - you are in plenty of company. The SCO is routinely dismissed in the West.

Indeed, it is likely Russia and China do not want to draw too much attention to their emerging collaboration. As China's former leader Deng Xiaoping advised, China should stay "away from the limelight, and cultivate obscurity." Or as Teddy Roosevelt might have put it, "speak softly while building up your big stick."

Smart Investors

If France wants to get out in front, fine, it can take the heat. Russia and China - and possibly India, which has also indicated it wants to join the SCO - will quietly deepen their relationship while still trying to improve relations with the United States. Like prudent investors, they do not want all their eggs in one basket. But they are hedging their bets.

A major improvement

India's interest in joining the SCO hints at a major improvement in Sino-Indian relations that is currently underway.

First, there was the April 2003 visit by India's Defense Minister George Fernandes to Beijing. Then came the late June visit by India Prime Minsiter Atal Bihari Vajpayee to Beijing, in which the two countries reportedly made progress in resolving some long-standing frictions, among other things on Tibet.

Growing concerns

Perhaps most significantly, a statement by the Chinese Foreign Ministry on the eve of the Indian Defense Minister's April 2003 visit leaves little doubt that the rapprochement is inspired in large part by concerns about U.S. policy.

True, Western strategists have not seemed to care much. Even in Washington, the statement was ignored. Still, it might be wise for these folks to listen closely.

In the words of Chinese foreign ministry spokesman Liu Jianchao, "Under the current complicated international situation, China and India - the largest two developing countries - should enhance coordination and cooperation - and join their hands in making their contribution to regional peace and development."

Strategic triangle

Nothing but diplomatic niceties? Perhaps in Western eyes. But between two nations which have often been at odds with each other, it is an important statement. A statement moreover which Russia's President Vladimir Putin must be delighted to hear - if he did not encourage these developments himself.

Are Russia, China and India cozying up to each other? Although the idea of a strategic triangle was dismissed when it was first broached a few years ago, it must now be taken more seriously.

The "World Island"

Russia, China and India are home to a lot of the world's population. Better yet, any consensus they can establish between each other might be easy to subscribe to for most nations on earth.

Here Putin's cultivation of Germany and France enters into the equation. Shunned as they presently are by the Bush Administration, they also will look for other options - and Putin is clearly willing to encourage further cooperation.

The strategic benefits of this outreach on his part are self-evident. For all the talk from Washington of "New" versus "Old Europe," it is difficult to conceive of a united Europe without Germany and France.

Not getting the message

Moreover, by appearing less belligerent than President Bush, Mr. Putin undercuts the threatening image of Russia among the youth of "New" and "Old" Europe.

In short, the Bush Administration heralds its military triumph in Iraq - and tells the world to get the message. But the message that it is getting may not be the one the administration wants.

There are many more doubts about the United States in the world today - less about its military power than about the nation's benevolence and intentions.

Pivots all around

In the process, the U.S. administration has weakened its position in Eurasia. And President Putin in Moscow - located in the very heart of Eurasia - is in the perfect position to foster the creation of a multipolar world.

Pivoting west, he has improving relations with Germany and France - the biggest powers on the European continent. Pivoting east, he is consolidating relations with China and India - the biggest powers on the Asian continent.

It is a remarkable performance, especially considering the short time he has been in office - and the poor situation he inherited. There is no doubt that Mr. Putin's global strategic efforts deserve more attention than they are receiving.

Stanley Kober is a research fellow in foreign policy studies at the Cato Institute. Previously, he worked as an analyst for the Hudson Institute and the Center for Naval Analyses. He is an expert on U.S.-Russian relations and European security issues.

_________________________________________________________________ Add photos to your messages with MSN 8. Get 2 months FREE*. http://join.msn.com/?page=features/featuredemail