Burchill goes ballistic ...

Carl Remick carlremick at hotmail.com
Sat Mar 1 09:21:59 PST 2003

[... soaring in a high arc, far beyond parody]

Silly show-offs against Saddam!

Julie Burchill Saturday March 1, 2003 The Guardian

Working on the law of averages, I'm sure that there must have been a whole lot of decent, intelligent people among the three-quarters of a million souls who marched in favour of the unchallenged continuation of Saddam Hussein's reign of terror over the people of Iraq the other weekend. Though, as ever, Christopher Hitchens pretty much hit the nail on the head when he summed it up as "the silly... led by the sinister".

But leave aside the Jew-haters and amputation-enthusiasts, and the soppy saps who wheeled out toddlers clutching Thomas the Tank Engine says no to war! banners. (Of course, Thomas won't be saying No To War when the oil runs out and he's out of a frigging job - he'll be saying Bomb the bastard, now! ) For me, one strand of marchers was way out in front when it came to playing host to those uninvited but gluttonous guests, hypocrisy and decadence. It was surreal to see the best part of a million people marching in support of denying other people the very freedom they were smugly celebrating. ...

<More, much more, at http://www.guardian.co.uk/Columnists/Column/0,5673,904007,00.html>

Carl

_________________________________________________________________ Add photos to your e-mail with MSN 8. Get 2 months FREE*. http://join.msn.com/?page=features/featuredemail