"Letters To A Young Conformist"

Peter K. peterk.enteract at rcn.com
Sat Mar 1 11:24:10 PST 2003

Dennis Perrin: "Make my arguments your own, and while I can't guarantee journalistic success or acceptance by genteel elites, I may allow you to run my website."

-----------

Whatever. "The Trials on Henry Kissinger" will be on Sundance Monday at 8PM CT and then repeated throughout the month if people want to see what a "comformist" he is. I'm forwarding this to him, which is rather sleazy I admit, but I can't stand it when people say their "friends" with someone and then trash that "friend" behind their back (like Doug consistently insulting him and then complaining that Hitch won't respond to his e-mails or come on his show). But who knows, maybe you're ex-friends now and you'll be glad I sent it. See you all again come the revolution.

Au revoir, mon amie.

Peter K.

PS the best commentary on e-lists and internet chat rooms can be found in Kevin Smith's film Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back. (political economy of the info superhighway = 50% cranks + 50% porn) You can find me at Quimby's bookstore:

Saturday, March 1 at 7:00 Paula Anderson will read from her blog collection, Blood Tender, an adventure in sex, drugs and punk rock. Look at: http://www.wordriot.org and http://www.poorpaula.com

Saturday, March 8 at 7:30 To celebrate the release of the brand new issue of Chunklet magazine, editor Henry H. Owings & friends will be bringing their 2003 Cereal Tour to Quimby's. That's right, stop by Quimby's, talk to Henry, and enjoy a bowl of sugary goodness. Cereal will be provided, but the show is strictly BYOM (Bring Your Own Milk, duh).

Friday, March 14 at 8:00 To celebrate the new issue of Sleepwalk - Chicago's favorite free literary magazine - the following writers will be in attendance: Isaac Adamson (Tokyo Suckerpunch and Hokkaido Popsicle), James Vickery (star of page and stage), Teresa Weed (femme fatale of fine writing), Tim Lotesto (boy genius), hosted by Joe Meno (Tender as Hellfire and How the Hula Girl Sings).

Sunday, March 16 at 1:00 In conjunction with The Viaduct Theater, Quimby's is excited to host a reading with Denis Johnson. Denis Johnson is a well known novelist (The Name of the World, Already Dead, Resuscitation of a Hanged Man, The Stars at Noon, Fiskadoro, Angels), short story writer (Jesus' Son), poet (The Incognito Lounge, Inner Weather, Throne of the Third Heaven of the Nations Millennium General Assembly: Poems Collected and New) and journalist (Seek: Reports from the Edges of America and Beyond). He is now writer of critically acclaimed plays (Hellhound on My Trail, Shoppers, Soul of a Whore). The Viaduct Theater's production of Hellhound late last year met with rave reviews from every publication in the city. Quimby's liked it a lot, too. The Chicago premier of Johnson's play, Shoppers Carried by Escalators Into the Flames, is at The Viaduct Theater and opens March 15 through April 19. For ticket info check out http://viaducttheater.com/

Friday, March 21 at 7:30 Zine Guide Showdown (part one): Jessica Disobedience (Safety Pin Girl), Katherine Raz (Retail Whore), Aaron Cynic (political activist, contributor to Tail Spins), Grant Schreiber (Judas Goat Quarterly), Michelle Aiello (Indigo). For more info go to http://www.zineguide.net

Saturday, March 22 at 4:00 Quimby's is happy to have Lloyd Kaufman of Troma fame back at Quimby's to sign his new book Make Your Own Damn Movie! Mr. Kaufman is in town for the Movieside Film Festival & MP Shows. For Movieside's schedule go to www.movieside.neweyefilms.com

Saturday, March 22 at 7:30 Zine Guide Showdown (part two): Liz Saidel (Caboose) Al Burian (Burn Collector), Todd Dills (2nd Hand), Jessica Hopper (Hit It or Quit It), Matt Fagan (Meniscus). For more info go to http://www.zineguide.net

Sunday, March 23 at 4:00 Fantagraphics comic book artist Dame Darcy (Meatcake) will read from her recent book Frightful Fairytales. And she will play murder ballads and sea shanties on the banjo. Just go to http://www.damedarcy.com