Perry Anderson

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Sat Mar 1 15:01:59 PST 2003

kjkhoo at softhome.net wrote:

>>It's not just being an academic - Anderson is a landed aristocrat
>>and the son of a diplomat.
>
>As a matter of curiosity, why the deep animus, one which you so
>rarely show towards others?

I admire Verso & NLR a lot. They're responsible for a good bit of who I am. I'd rather not go into much detail, but I'll just say that the culture at 6 Meard St is mandarin and elitist in ways not unrelated to PA's pedigree. I'll concede that that situation has contributed to the high intellectual level of what they publish, but it's not without its problems.

About 10 years ago, when there was a purge of the NLR board (Ellen Wood was among the victims), Alexander Cockburn described it to me as "the aristocrats getting together to purge the middle class," the aristos being Alex, Perry, and Tariq Ali.

Doug