question on unemployment stats

Kevin Robert Dean qualiall at union.org.za
Sun Mar 2 12:07:35 PST 2003

On Sun, 2 Mar 2003 11:14:17 EST

Nomiprins at aol.com wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Can anybody give me a concise comparison between how
> unemployment was
> measured in the 1930s vs. today? For example, in the
> early 30s, 13 million
> Americans were unemployed or almost 25% of the population
> (of those eligible
> for work). Today, that figure is around 8 million and the
> unemployment rate
> hovers under 6%. Beyond the actual numbers, does anyone
> have more color on
> comparing the situations then and now?
>
> Thanks,
> Nomi

I don't know if this goes into enough detail for you, but this website has some interesting notes on how census data collection has changed through time.

http://www.noelm.com/williamson/censusbg.html

Interesting note that the 1930s marked the first time that census takers asked about unemployment.

PS-- Anyone know of anyone hiring for a computer tech? I'm willing to relocate! --- Sent from UnionMail Service [http://mail.union.org.za]