Funding the War

Jeet Heer jeet at sturdynet.com
Mon Mar 3 08:06:59 PST 2003

Max B. Sawicky wrote:

> Borrowing for the most part. Drain some oil revenue,
> if they can get them pumping soon enough.
>
> They're not going to 'print money.'

Doesn't the depend on how much the war costs? If it gets very expensive they might have to start printing money on the side, no? Isn't that what LBJ did in 1967 and 1968? By the way, if anyone has any good suggestions explaning the link between the Vietnam war and the economic troubles of the late 1960s and early 1970s, I would appreciate it. I had a few students ask me about this.