Funding the War

Paul_A paul_a at igc.org
Mon Mar 3 10:34:43 PST 2003

No doubt there will be serious short term and budget account problems (and as others have said there will have to be short term borrowing). But surely (and sadly) the overall answer is: in the medium term they plan on using Iraqi oil through mechanisms similar to those already established by the Security Council.

It is little known but currently a large percent (I recall it was initially 40%) of the money from Iraqi oil permitted to be sold is given by the Security Council to other governments as reparations for '91, and for the current Security Council operations. Neither the validity of these claims nor the "priority" of them over the humanitarian needs of the Iraqi people is reviewed by a Court or even by the U.N. Secretariat. The Security Council assigns the funding streams themselves (and sometimes, to themselves). Needless to say this has been fairly big money (billions, but not the tens of billions to come).

Of course one can imagine that various mechanisms and formulas will have to be devised (and whether it will be nominally under the Security Council or not remains to be seen). Medium term (2-3 year) costs of occupation and repairs would be financed from the receipts from the "privatization" of the oil fields, but presumably this should require some sort of Iraqi civilian authority to make the sale. In the short run it seems there will be a Military Governor who will give out contracts such as for quick repairs to the oil fields and these might be covered by the oil companies in return for a share of proceeds until the sale. Presumably the Military Governor will then formally sell the oil for the first year (through contracts to the oil companies) - or maybe just give out leases for individual oil fields - and then divy up the proceeds among the civilian and U.S. military needs. Directly reimbursing the U.S. for the previous military costs of the war itself will be seen as audacious but ... the principles of reparations are already in force. In fact if they stretch out the reimbursements long enough much will come from the sale of the oil fields to U.S. companies.

I hope this doesn't sound too cold. There ARE Geneva Conventions against the use of natural resources by an occupying force but ...

Paul A.