Not in our name, ANSWER

topp8564 at mail.usyd.edu.au topp8564 at mail.usyd.edu.au
Tue Mar 4 04:42:24 PST 2003

On 4/3/2003 6:48 PM, "lbo-talk-digest" <owner-lbo-talk-digest at lists.panix.com> wrote:

> Mark Rickling wrote:
>> During a segment on local anti-war protests, a DC Fox affiliate newscast
>> last week informed me that ANSWER is also the group behind the
>> anti-globalization demos in Washington. Funny, I don't remember ANSWER being
>> in existence for April 16, 2000. Guess that must have been the IAC running
>> the whole show :)
>
> Right. ;-)
>
> If folks remember, the IAC held a "political prisoners" march the night
> before A16, which got surrounded by the cops and ended up with 600 people
> being taken off the streets before A16 even happened.
>
> I remember joking at the time that the IAC couldn't have organized that many
> arrests if they tried and of course, civil disobedience is anathema to the
> IAC and WWP.
>
> Chuck0

I hope this doesn't sounds too little rough, but aren't you positioning yourselves as a pretender to the leadership of the movement (not plural at all this time)? After all, why worry about these guys? With all the attention you guys give to these clowns, you'd think that the masses are a bunch of imbeciles who will be brainwashed into thinking North Korea is a workers paradise just because someone hired a PA. The sort of threat that you attribute to these lunatics is actually a sort of mad flattery, or one might think, severely misplaced jealousy.

And how can you say that civil disobedience is anathema to the WWP, IAC or ANSWER ? That has to be a wonderful piece of doublethink - here you seem to be using a very technical meaning of "civil disobedience": one which restricts it to non-party actions. The possibility, for instance, that the arrest of 600 people and subsequent disciplined jail solidarity could be a kind of civil disobedience seems worthy of your contempt. Over here in Australia, that was major news amongst people who care for following the vicissitudes of the American left. We were all very impressed. Even if the tens of thousands marching on the next few days were 600 short.

And if you are actually denying that the arrests were organised , this "oh you guys are such suckers for getting arrested this easily" line is awful trash. I didn't realise this kind of Bommy Bauman machismo was fashionable again.

Thiago

------------------------------------------------- This mail sent through IMP: www-mail.usyd.edu.au