These are some of my favorite marches

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Tue Mar 4 12:46:02 PST 2003

Chuck0 wrote:

>Nathan may disagree with me about this, but I would add that tame
>protests are alienating. There is a time and place for tame
>protests--like the rally on the Ellipse during A16--but people are
>more interested in militant protests than most organizers understand.

Some people want tame, some people want militant. Why should the same forces and same events try to appeal to both? Division of labor, comrades! And, as Adam Smith famously declared, since division of labor depends on the extent of the market, and since the protest market is booming, it suggests that there's lots of room for lots of approaches.

Doug