we've got your kids, so talk!

JBrown72073 at cs.com JBrown72073 at cs.com
Tue Mar 4 19:58:48 PST 2003

>>New York Post - March 4, 2003
>>
>>HE'LL SPILL HIS GUTS, OR ELSE
>>By NILES LATHEM and BRIAN BLOMQUIST
>>
>>The United States has made it a practice to take some high-profile terror
>>detainees from Pakistan and Afghanistan to Arab countries like Jordan,
>>Egypt and Morocco for interrogation.
>>
>>"We don't kick the s- - - out of them. Some of our friends do, but we don't
>>do that," said one former counterterrorism official.
>
>No, they just soften 'em up for it. Says today's Wall Street Journal about
>U.S. interrogation techniques: "U.S. officials overseeing interrogations
>of captured al Qaeda forces at Bagram and Guantanamo Bay Naval Base in Cuba
>can even authorize 'a little bit of smacky-face,' a U.S. intelligence
official
>says. 'Some al Qaeda just need some extra encouragement,' the official
>says."
>
>Carl

All this implausible deniability about how the U.S. is a nation that doesn't use torture, but might if really pushed under these oh-so-special circumstances of al Qaeda. Please. Find me one medium-sized jail or prison in the U.S. that doesn't use torture for discipline, control, or as a twisted sport. Here the jailers beat a guy (arrested that night for threatening his ex) to the point that the surgeon said his brains were falling out of his head. His ex just wanted him to calm down, instead she sat in all-night vigil at the hospital only to be told he'd died from the beating. That's detention in a county jail. I could list several other local incidents in just the last 3 years. In the state prison up the road they beat to death a guy on death row--seemed excessive, couldn't they wait? (He supposedly beat himself up but that didn't explain the boot prints.) And we only hear about these because deaths have to be explained in a way that injuries don't.

Jenny Brown