Forbes includes Arafat & Castro among wealthiest heads of state

LouPaulsen LouPaulsen at attbi.com
Wed Mar 5 06:02:29 PST 2003

----- Original Message ----- From: "Grant Lee" <grantlee at iinet.net.au> To: <pen-l at galaxy.csuchico.edu>; <lbo-talk-digest at lists.panix.com>

> (Apologies for cross posting.) It appears, apart from anything else, that
> Forbes is not interested in distinguishing between funds actually
controlled
> by an individual and those theroetically/symbolically held (e.g. QE2). The
> allegation re Castro is not new, but is it complete disinformation? Does
> anyone know? How? (BTW, Berlusconi made the separate "Powerbrokers" list")

It is complete disinformation. I don't know if Forbes made it clear this time, but the last time the 'billionaire Castro' story, or hoax, or joke came out, they made it clear that it was based on the assumption that, since Castro is an 'absolute ruler', he owns the entire economy of Cuba. His wealth was 'estimated' at the gross domestic product of Cuba for that year. This was inconsistent; really I should it should have been set to the resale value of Cuba. Anyway, it has nothing to do with Fidel having gold plates or whatever.

lp