The War Party's Fucked.

DoreneFC at aol.com DoreneFC at aol.com
Wed Mar 5 10:45:41 PST 2003

In a message dated 3/5/2003 10:16:06 AM Pacific Standard Time, dhenwood at panix.com writes:

> Subj:Re: The War Party's Fucked.
> Date:3/5/2003 10:16:06 AM Pacific Standard Time
> From:<A HREF="mailto:dhenwood at panix.com">dhenwood at panix.com</A>
> To:<A HREF="mailto:lbo-talk at lists.panix.com">lbo-talk at lists.panix.com</A>
> Sent from the Internet
>

> mike larkin wrote:
>
> >http://www.antiwar.com/justin/justincol.html
>
> Well yeah. But we were watching the late rerun of the Brit Hume show
> on Fox News last night, and I said to Liza, "I spend the day reading
> email and websites and think, maybe there won't be a war after all.
> And now I'm watching Fox and it seems inevitable." Ok, that's Fox.
> But then the front page of the NY Times this morning says that Powell
> is optimistic they'll win the SC vote. Maybe he's using the same vote
> counting methodology that served him so well with Turkey. But really
> - would Powell say this if the Capitol Hill Blue story were right?
> Why would he act so sure less than a week away from the SC vote?
>
> Doug

Spin! Spin! Spin! Spin! Spin! And relentless optimism that the will of the world can be bent your way. Note there is a fine line between Spin and Total Bleeping Arrogance!

This morning my radio kicked on with NPR repeating almost the same "War is inevitable" line as Fox. Well I watch as little Fox as I can, but the chatter was all about "after the war..." not why we need to go NOW, why we need to shred the Constitution, how we can possibly claim to be "democratic" while ignoring the opinion of our own population and the world opinion the US has tried to enlist in its imperialist rampage.

I am not going to believe the war is off until troops start coming home and Colin Powell is spinning the situation as a victory for the US. My opinion: it's totally possible to cite response to democratic opinion as a victory and a signal of democracy's strength and even if we want an example for Saddam to follow.

In my most glib moments I think of all the decades of citizen diplomacy before the Soviet Union fell apart. Then I think some of that probably just softened the country up from the global resource raiders!

Anyway, I am looking for scenarios where everyone climbs down from their high horses with grace and dignity. Of course I may be looking a long time...

DoreneC -------------- next part -------------- An HTML attachment was scrubbed... URL: <../attachments/20030305/8b20f484/attachment.htm>