The War Party's Fucked.

Seth Ackerman sethia at speakeasy.net
Wed Mar 5 11:02:07 PST 2003

"Doug Henwood" <dhenwood at panix.com> wrote:

> Well yeah. But we were watching the late rerun of the Brit Hume show
> on Fox News last night, and I said to Liza, "I spend the day reading
> email and websites and think, maybe there won't be a war after all.
> And now I'm watching Fox and it seems inevitable." Ok, that's Fox.
> But then the front page of the NY Times this morning says that Powell
> is optimistic they'll win the SC vote. Maybe he's using the same vote
> counting methodology that served him so well with Turkey. But really
> - would Powell say this if the Capitol Hill Blue story were right?
> Why would he act so sure less than a week away from the SC vote?

I used to think this way too. But I've realized that since November, the administration's whole strategy is to create the appearanceof inevitability and momentum in order to pressure wavering voters into swinging over to the inevitable "winning" side. They were predicting *confidently* two months ago that France would come around. It's precisely because they've lost so much momentum this week that Powell had to go out and say this.

I do think war is 95% inevitable, but SC approval is not.

Seth