Red purge

Nathan Newman nathanne at nathannewman.org
Wed Mar 5 14:20:48 PST 2003

----- Original Message ----- From: "Carl Remick" <carlremick at hotmail.com>

>From: "Nathan Newman"
>Yeah, except Carroll's labelling of Trumanism for the kicking of left
>unions out of the CIO ignores the basic fact that most Democrats voted
>against it and Truman vetoed Taft-Hartley. Folks like Carroll talk about
>not "dividing the movement" but they never miss a chance to trash anyone in
>the Democratic party. Some unity.

-Some argument. You've conflated the still-breathing Democratic Party of a -half century ago with the corpse that's lying-in-state in Washington today.

Actually, the party of Nancy Pelosi and Tom Daschle never would have allowed the votes to override the Truman veto. I'd take the Democratic Party of 2003 over the Dem Party of 1947 (with its Dixiecrats who are now Republicans).

Since Taft-Hartley, the Democrats have gotten majorities for serious labor law reform, in 1966, in 1978 and in 1993, only to see it die in a GOP filibuster. But the Dems are breathing far better today than they were in the age when Russell, Thurmond and the Dixiecrats ruled the Senate committees.

-- Nathan Newman