The War Party's Fucked

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Wed Mar 5 15:18:56 PST 2003

Carrol Cox wrote:

>Doug Henwood wrote:
>>

>> But just the other day, he and/or Ari Fleischer said it wasn't about
>> disarmament (since the Iraqis are clearly disarming) but about regime
>> change. A retreat on this would make his father's retreat on "Read my
>> lips. No new taxes." look like a subtle change in the background
>> music.
>>

>"Waist deep in the Big Muddy, & the Damn Fool said, Wade on." OR
>something like that.
>
>But you are assuming that is a general law. That u.s. administrations
>can never be bullied, can never (or will never) blink first.
>
>Perhaps. But I don't see it as a certainty.

I don't either. But it would be an enormous blow to Bush & Co. if they had to back down. Which would be a wholly good thing, of course, but I'm wondering what they're thinking. Do they believe checkbook diplomacy will do the trick? Are they so arrogant that they think that things like the Turkish vote just can't happen?

If they lose this one, then the MR/anti-Empire/America rules line will also take a hit.

Doug