NYC on the war

Michael Pollak mpollak at panix.com
Thu Mar 6 17:19:39 PST 2003

On Thu, 6 Mar 2003, Doug Henwood quoted a Newsday poll saying

> Despite the opposition to war, only nine percent of New Yorkers said
> they had written a letter, attended a demonstration or contributed
> money in opposition to military action. Seven percent said they had
> been active in support of military action, and 84 percent said had
> not participated at all.

That's a surprising stat, and would be disturbing if true and generalizable. New Yorkers in this sample are against war w/out a resolution by 80/20, but active dissent only outweighs active support by 9 to 7? That would mean the other side is getting a phenomenal 35% of its people active while we're only activating 11 1/4%. At these rates, if the country was divided 50/50, they'd beat us by 3 to 1 in terms of visible support.

Could that possibly be true, or is it just a spurious artifact?

Michael