Meanwhile, in liberated Timor...

topp8564 at mail.usyd.edu.au topp8564 at mail.usyd.edu.au
Thu Mar 6 22:05:00 PST 2003

[ Downer was on telly last night not quite denying that he had had a "temper tantrum"; Bob Brown was suspended from the Senate for not withdrawing his accusation, by the pro-Howard speaker. Viva Westminster!]

Govt denies E Timor's bully charge Friday 7 March 2003, 10:30AM

The federal government has denied bullying East Timor into signing a lucrative gas project, despite claims by the fledgling nation's prime minister that Australian was heavy-handed.

The deal will give Australia a share in revenue from oil and gas fields in the Timor Sea.

Under the Timor Sea Treaty, which was rushed through the Senate on Thursday, East Timor will receive 90 per cent of revenue from the first stage of the $5 billion project.

But Australia was accused of bullying East Timor into handing over rights to a second and larger project through a separate agreement signed by Foreign Minister Alexander Downer in Dili.

Mr Downer denied East Timor was bullied, but said lively discussion had led to a fair compromise between Australian and East Timorese interests.

But East Timor's Prime Minister Mari Alkatiri said Australia had been overly aggressive.

"I recognise that a lot of pressure was done from the Australian government. I think that was not helpful," he told ABC television.

A leaked transcript of Mr Downer's negotiations with Dr Alkatiri last November appeared to back the East Timorese claims.

"We don't like brinksmanship," Mr Downer said in the transcript on crikey.com.au.

"I think your western advisers give you very poor advice that public opinion supports East Timor in Australia.

"We are very tough.

"We will not care if you give information to the media.

"Let me give you a tutorial on politics - not a chance."

The Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade said the transcript was clearly a translated and edited version of the negotiations.

In the Senate, Greens leader Bob Brown accused Mr Howard of blackmailing the East Timorese into signing a deal on the larger Greater Sunrise field, or risk losing revenues from an earlier deal. ©2003 AAP

------------------------------------------------- This mail sent through IMP: www-mail.usyd.edu.au