Tatu, everywhere

ChrisD(RJ) chrisd at russiajournal.com
Thu Mar 6 22:47:05 PST 2003

Hey ChrisD, This time they're featured prominently in the New Yorker, in an eight-page letter from Russia by Gary Shteyngart. They're a sign of something, I'm not

sure what, and he's hopeful, I'm not sure why. He is funny in spots.

Jenny Brown --- Cool cool cool! They're certainly a sign of Ivan Shapovalov's marketing savvy. Prompted by Tatu, Western labels are scouring Moscow for talent. I wouldn't be surprised at all to see Zdob Si Zdub or Spleen on a Western label in a year. (Both great rock bands; ZsZ does punk versions of Russian and Moldovan folk songs -- they're Moldovan -- and Spleen does melancholy Cure-esque art rock.)