Noam's Prime

Dennis Perrin dperrin at comcast.net
Fri Mar 7 06:05:11 PST 2003

Got a hold of the DVD version of "Manufacturing Consent," and in the added features section are two extended clips of Chomsky debating Buckley Jr. and Foucault. The Foucault debate (from 1971) is interesting, though Foucault, of whom I know little, seems a bit mad, though that could just be his body language. He's off in concept-land while Chomsky's dealing with the nuts and bolts of human nature and political formations.

But it's the Buckley segment that's worth the price of admission. Taped in 1969 for "Firing Line," the topic is, of course, Vietnam, but the segment on the DVD deals more with the Truman Doctrine and the Greek civil war. Both Chomsky and Buckley are in their early-40s and spry, but it's Chomsky who holds your attention. He utterly decimates Buckley. I mean, wipes him out. The look on Buckley's face is one of a man drowning. He's in way over his head and he knows it. I've never seen him afraid like he is here, and Chomsky has no mercy. Wonder why Buckley never invited him back . . .

This was before Noam attained Left God status. A bracing reminder of who he once was.

DP -------------- next part -------------- An HTML attachment was scrubbed... URL: <../attachments/20030307/f075c7b7/attachment.htm>