Salon Life W's transcript

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Fri Mar 7 11:01:32 PST 2003

At 9:46 PM -0800 3/6/03, R wrote:
>>At 2:08 PM -0800 3/6/03, andie nachgeborenen wrote:
>>>Because hell, maybe money can't buy you love, but if it can't buy
>>>you admission to Yale over better qualified students of any race,
>>>what good is it?
>>
>>Why would you need any degree, though, if you were rich beyond measure?
>>--
>>Yoshie
>
>one doesn't.
>
>it's something you do. it's a class phenomenon. peer group
>pressure. like joining the right club. like going to college to
>get into skull and bones. like being a republican and running for
>president. like killing poverty stricken people in the way of your
>favorite MNCs.
>
>when you're rich beyond measure, yoshie, you'll understand. ;-)

I've yet to figure out how to earn a decent income, much less make tons of money, but I do know how to spend it. I dare say that I was born to the wrong class at the wrong time. :-0

Were I rich beyond measure, I would not bother to attend any college (much less graduate school!). Rather, I'd found a salon to which I'd invite artists and intellectuals, commission works of art and scholarship, and finance revolutions.

Postscript:

A glimpse of authentic cultural capital:

***** Although the leading figures of the Enlightenment were all men, the social context was the highly-civilized "salon", usually presided over by a women with some independent wealth.

On Julie de Lespinasse

From Memoir of Baron de Grimm

Her circle met daily from five o'clock until nine in the evening. There we were sure to find choice men of all orders in the State, the Church, the Court, -- military men, foreigners, and the most distinguished men of letters. Every one agrees that though the name of M. d'Alembert may have drawn them thither, it was she alone who kept them there. Devoted wholly to the care of preserving that society, of which she was the soul and the charm, she subordinated to this purpose all her tastes and all her personal intimacies. She seldom went to the theatre or into the country, and when she did make an exception to this rule it was an event of which all Paris was notified in advance....Politics, religion, philosophy, anecdotes, news, nothing was excluded from the conversation, and, thanks to her care, the most trivial little narrative gained, as naturally as possible, the place and notice it deserved. News of all kinds was gathered there in its first freshness....

<http://www.fordham.edu/halsall/mod/18salons.html> ***** -- Yoshie