Demonlover Re: Pedagogues Re: W's transcript

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Sat Mar 8 18:40:27 PST 2003

> > genuine pleasure except for a few today. Lives of college teachers*
>> and students would greatly improve if aggressively parochial
>> conservatives (of the sort who disdain reading) didn't feel obliged
>> to attend college at all.
>
>By no means. Those are precisely the people who most need the
>college experience. Of course, my own definition of "reading"
>includes things like film, video, music, statistics on Chinese
>export-platform industrialization and Nokia's latest biz plan.
>
>-- DRR

Aggressively parochial conservatives generally do not tolerate foreign films with subtitles, but here's a movie made to order for your classroom use -- _Demonlover_ (Dir. Olivier Assayas, 2002):

***** "Demonlover," a complicated story of corporate espionage and double-crossing involving the fight for control of a Japanese pornographic Web site, turns into a video game as it goes along. Connie Nielsen is a corporate spy dispatched to sabotage a deal between a multinational conglomerate and an American Internet company, and Chloë Sevigny, in one of her rangiest performances, is her treacherous assistant. The movie's sinister, final destination is an interactive torture Web site called "The Hellfire Club."

<http://www.nytimes.com/2003/03/07/movies/07FREN.html> *****

:-i

"Palm Pictures Adds 'demonlover' to 2003 Release Slate": <http://www.indiewire.com/biz/biz_030228demon.html> -- Yoshie