RES: Whence Stalin's popularity?

Alexandre Fenelon afenelon at zaz.com.br
Sun Mar 9 04:40:29 PST 2003

I don't know whether there are accurate figures on Peter, but Stalin's have to be revised way downwards after Getty's reserach. See his The Origin of the Great Purge. A summary of the results is available on a U of Chicago (I think) website and has been postedto this list from time to time. Getty's figures are pretty much the only ones based on serious archival research. The short version is this: the body count of the Stalin years -- executions, anyway -- is in the high hundreds of thousands. Deaths in labor camps push it up to the low millions. Figures like 20 million executions or deaths (Conquest) or higher (Solzhenitin says 50 million) have no basis in fact. One can add 8-9 million victims of the collectivization famines of the esaly 1930s as foreseeable if not in the main intended deaths. It would surprise me if Peter's body count were not prioportionately much lower, not because Peter was a nice guy, but because the technologies available for mass oand asseembly line killing did not exist.

-I agree with you Getty´s numbers are probably the most accurate. They -are largely corroborated by N. Werth is his chapter of the Black Book -of communism. Btw, Mr. Werth calculates the death toll of the Soviet -regimen in 15 million. This includes the 1917-56 period. He implicitly -argues that after 1956, politically motivated assassinations were -irrelevant, compared with the former period. -Well, Stalin´s statistics would have something near to 8-10% of USSR -population killed, however, I´m deeply impressed by those 25% from -Peter the Great. Probably those numbers are inflated. What were the -Russia population in late 1600´s?

Alexandre Fenelon