NY Times Says No to War Re: Fwd: Edward Said on who is in charge of policy

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Sun Mar 9 16:46:31 PST 2003

><http://weekly.ahram.org.eg/2003/628/op2.htm>
>Al-Ahram Weekly (Cairo) - March 8, 2993
>Who is in charge?
>A tiny, unelected group, supported by powerful, unrepresentative
>minorities, writes Edward Said
>Edward Said
<snip>
>There are no antiwar voices to read or hear in any of the major
>medias of this country, no Arabs or Muslims (who have been consigned
>en masse to the ranks of the fanatics and terrorists of this world),
>no critics of Israel, not on Public Broadcasting, not in The New
>York Times, the New Yorker, US News and World Report, CNN and the
>rest.

Professor Said exaggerates.

***** New York Times Editorial March 9, 2003

Saying No to War

Within days, barring a diplomatic breakthrough, President Bush will decide whether to send American troops into Iraq in the face of United Nations opposition. We believe there is a better option involving long-running, stepped-up weapons inspections. But like everyone else in America, we feel the window closing. If it comes down to a question of yes or no to invasion without broad international support, our answer is no....

<http://www.nytimes.com/2003/03/09/opinion/09SUN1.html> *****

Is this the first time that the New York Times editorialized against a US war before it started? -- Yoshie