Am I being double taxed, or do I not understand?

Max B. Sawicky sawicky at bellatlantic.net
Sun Mar 9 21:14:50 PST 2003

Although I don't berate the double taxation of dividends (if we taxed them three times we might hit them at least once), I would say the likelihood is that the UE tax is in fact borne by the worker, like any other cost conditional on hiring that worker. The employer should be indifferent between spending a dollar on the UE tax or on your salary; it's money out the window either way.

And yes, we are still screwed by the man, with or without unemployment insurance.

mbs

On Mon, 10 Mar 2003, Kevin Robert Dean wrote:
> Actually, it looks like I might be mistaken...My quick and
> dirty google research says that most states lay the UI tax
> burden solely on the Employer.
>
> Although I'm sure in some way I was still screwed by the
> man...

I wouldn't be surprised if the same folks that berate the double taxation of dividends also find that the burden placed on employers is actually placed on you, the worker.

-gr