ANSWER envy

Chuck0 chuck at mutualaid.org
Mon Mar 10 08:26:19 PST 2003

BrownBingb at aol.com wrote:

> CB: you are the one with horrendous politics. But WWP's position on N.

> Korea is not a reason not to support their efforts to stop the U.S. from

> attacking Iraq. And it is sabotage of the anti-war work through use of a

> non-sequitur to attack the WWP and ANSWER participation in the anti-war

> effort with nonsensical images like " I was stabbed in the back with a

> knife made in N. Korea"

> CB: You can talk about N. Korea - say U.S. hands off N. Korea, U.S. out
> of Korea ,where they have been for fifty years. But to imply that
> because WWP opposes U.S. aggression against N. Korea, that they are
> therefore stabbing you in the back in the way they help organize the
> effort to stop the attacks on Iraq, like a North Korean or whatever, is
> doing the work of wrecking the peace movement on behalf of the
> imperialists. And it is in the form of redbaiting in the classic sense
> of that as something that should be criticized intra-movement.

You seem to have joined this list rather later, as your feeble attempts to defend the WWP missed the fact that Nathan's reference to being stabbed in the back had to do with internal NLG politics, not the WWP's position on North Korea. I made a reference to a knife made in North Korea, because it is well known that the WWP is big fans of the current regime there and even make regular trips to that glamorous worker's paradise.

I've torn apart your arguemtn about red-baiting, so why persist? You are conflating red-baiting--the broad denunciation of all radicals and communists in a movement--with criticism of a specific organization. When people here criticize the Democratic Party, nobody talks about red-baiting. When folks here criticize the anarchists or the black bloc, nobody talks about red-baiting or "black-baiting." Anarchists have been quite open to dialogue with our critics. On the other hand, the WWP an ANSWER have not been open to intra-movement openness and dialogue. They evade by raising the spectre of "red-baiting." When they get really desperate, they slander individual critics with all kinds of charges, including cop-baiting.

Chuck0

------------------------------------------------------------ Personal homepage -> http://chuck.mahost.org/ Infoshop.org -> http://www.infoshop.org/ MutualAid.org -> http://www.mutualaid.org/ Alternative Press Review -> http://www.altpr.org/ Practical Anarchy Online -> http://www.practicalanarchy.org/ Anarchy: AJODA -> http://www.anarchymag.org/

"The state can't give you free speech, and the state can't take it away. You're born with it, like your eyes, like your ears. Freedom is something you assume, then you wait for someone to try to take it away. The degree to which you resist is the degree to which you are free..." ---Utah Phillips