The North Korean "Threat"

Luke Weiger lweiger at umich.edu
Mon Mar 10 09:09:13 PST 2003

Justin wrote:
> Personally, I am starting to think that nuclear
> proliferation might not be such a bad thing after all
> in the era of the Shrub/Rummy/Rice Doctrine (We're
> gonna stay No. 1 by force, but not to worry because
> we're "special.") "First we got the bomb and that was
> good/Cause we love peace and motherhood/Then Russia
> got the bomb but that's OK/The balnce of power is
> preserved that way/Who's next?" (Tom Lehrer for you,
> Catherine)
>
> jks

I'll get back to your post regarding Sachsianism, the current state of Afghanistan, the naivete of consequentialists, and what the cold war was "really" about later. For now, I'd like to note that if Iraq were to acquire nukes, Saddam would be able to carry out his professed goal of redrawing the map of the ME without fear of intervention. I cannot see how any politically sane person could dismiss such a risk.

-- Luke