Democracy? Re: The North Korean "Threat"

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Mon Mar 10 09:50:24 PST 2003

At 7:30 AM -0800 3/10/03, andie nachgeborenen wrote:
>The fact of the matter is that democracy doesn't make much
>difference when it comes to foreign policy, as we see right now.

Foreign policy, as well as domestic policy, should be determined by the will of the many if states were truly democratic. That the executive branch defies the will of the majority -- as in the UK, Australia, etc. -- only shows that the state in question is not really a democracy; rather, such a state is a vassal state, an unfree state, at the mercy of an empire. In an unfree state, the populace may enjoy negative liberty but they lack republican freedom. By this standard, we may say that Turkey is more democratic than the UK and Australia. -- Yoshie