The North Korean "Threat"

Luke Weiger lweiger at umich.edu
Mon Mar 10 16:57:53 PST 2003

Justin wrote:
> This is really hard. What prevented the USSR from
> attempting to conquer Europe despite its possession of
> nuclear weapons? Oh yeah, I remember. The US and the
> French had nuclear weapons too. This is what I mean
> about your being obtuse. You assume without evidence
> that a nuclear armed Iraq would not behave like a
> normal nuclear armed power _faced with other nuclear
> armed powers._

I must be pretty obtuse, because your response makes absolutely no sense to me. The USSR had nuclear weapons, and yet we fought their Vietnamese allies. The US had nuclear weapons, and yet that did not stop the USSR from waging war in Afghanistan. Similarly, I don't think the fact that Israel and the US both have nukes would be sufficient to deter Iraq from invading its non-nuclear neighbors.

> The costs of ousting him don't figure into the picture, apparantly.

Yes, they do, but I was responding to your charge that I'm some sort of unabashed unilateralist.

-- Luke