ANSWER envy

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Mon Mar 10 17:52:51 PST 2003

At 7:35 PM -0800 3/10/03, Brian O. Sheppard wrote:
> > Which is the threat to world peace -- Bush, or WWP + North Korea? I
>> would venture to say that most folks in the world would say that the
>> former is the threat.
>
>I didn't see anyone claim that North Korea and WWP were a "threat to world
>peace." Try responding to what people are actually saying, not what best
>suits your argument.

What is the thread titled "The North Korean 'Threat'" doing on LBO-talk, then? Besides, I was responding to the dichotomy as discussed by Charles and Nathan -- see below:

At 6:15 PM -0500 3/10/03, Nathan Newman wrote:
> >CB: The nuclear threat is from Fascist America, not Stalinist North Korea.
<snip>
>But it is folks like you and the WWP who pose this either or
>politics-- you're with the anti-imperialist movement or you're with
>the fascists in the US. Which is just similar wording to the
>Bush-types, you're either with the forces of US democracy or against
>it.
>
>And guess what? When the WWP and you set up that dichotomy, most
>folks end up with Bush.

I'm saying that Nathan's mistaken about what most folks in the world think about Bush and North Korea.

At 7:35 PM -0800 3/10/03, Brian O. Sheppard wrote:
>WWP's coziness with N. Korea is as fair a target for criticism as
>the Bush Administration's warmongering. We don't have choose between
>the two.

On the eve of "Shock and Awe," aka the Second Coming of Hiroshima, I'd expect US leftists to be able to prioritize their tasks of criticism.

That said, I'd be interested in hearing LBO-talkers discuss North Korea and any US left-wing individual's or organization's position and actions about it, if discussion is well informed. However, I have yet to hear anything intelligent said about North Korea on LBO-talk, except from Tim Shorrock, a journalist with expertise in Korean affairs, who used to be subscribed to this listserv. Very few Americans, including American leftists, know much about Korea, North or South. The better sort of US leftists have read some of Bruce Cumings' work, and that's about it. Given so little knowledge on US leftists' part, I wonder how they make judgment about the WWP's take on North Korea, what they think US policy toward North Korea should be, and what they are actually doing about it. It is my impression that the WWP is one of the few -- the only? -- US left-wing political organization that has done something about US policy toward Koreas. For instance, WWP folks organized the Korea Truth Commission, investigating "more than 160 instances of US-led military attacks on more than 2.5 million Korean non-combatants (Washington Post, June 13, 2000 ) during the Korean War" <http://www.kimsoft.com/2001/kr-truth.htm>; some of my friends and acquaintances from Japan and South Korea, most of them non-Leninists, attended it. What are the IWW and other anarchists -- or any other left-wing organizations -- doing about US policy toward Koreas, North and South (this isn't a rhetorical question)? -- Yoshie