Hydrogen cars? Fahgeddabeddit!

John Thornton jthorn65 at mchsi.com
Mon Mar 10 19:35:15 PST 2003

My understanding is that unless you can get the cost of electricity down to around $0.03 per kWH from about $0.075 per kWH where it currently stands hydrogen extraction isn't economically viable even factoring in an environmental cost of $1.60 per gallon of gas (a cost that is externalized but is in my opinion too low). It isn't economically viable that is unless everyone decides the higher costs are worth the decrease in environmental degradation. I and many others would be willing to pay a 25% increase fuel costs to offset the pollution costs. Hydrogens price is currently higher than that but most auto manufacturers believe that this range is attainable.

John Thornton